Nonacademic misconduct decisions under UWS 17 may be appealed to the Chancellor when one of two conditions are met:
- When a sanction of enrollment restrictions, suspension, or expulsion is/are prescribed by a nonacademic hearing committee or examiner, the respondent or complainant, if applicable, may appeal the decision to the Chancellor.
- The case involves sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment.
Any other sanction or case may not be appealed to the Chancellor. The deadline for an appeal to the Chancellor is 14 days from the date of the written decision as specified in that document, which may or may not be the date the decision is sent to or received by the parties.
The Chancellor shall sustain the decision of the nonacademic misconduct hearing committee or examiner unless the Chancellor finds any of the following:
- The information in the record does not support the findings or decision of the hearing committee or examiner;
- Appropriate procedures were not followed by the nonacademic misconduct hearing committee or examiner and material prejudice to the respondent or complainant resulted; or
- The decision was based on factors proscribed by state or federal law.
The Office of the Chancellor has 30 days to respond to the appeal. The decision is based on a review of the record only – no meetings or oral arguments will take place. The Chancellor’s decision shall be communicated simultaneously to the respondent and the complainant (if applicable). See UWS 17.13.
In cases involving sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, and/or sexual harassment, both parties to the case will be notified when appeals are submitted and be notified of the outcome of the appeal and any subsequent actions that result.
Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
70 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1380
Monday-Friday: 10:00am - 4:00pm