Student Resources

Guides, resources, and information for UW–Madison students who may be experiencing issues involving academic and non-academic misconduct.

This page includes information on requesting your conduct records, the conduct process, student rights, reporting misconduct, and other conduct and community resources.

Requesting misconduct records

Students and alum may access their student misconduct records through different processes depending upon the school. Learn more about requesting your record. 

Student misconduct resources

Misconduct process guides

If you’ve made a complaint, or have received a notice of misconduct, it’s natural to be nervous. We hope the information in these pages will help you learn what to expect.

There are differences between the processes for academic misconduct (related to cheating) and nonacademic misconduct. These pages review both processes, as well as types of consequences (sanctions) a student might receive, the hearing process, and appealing a decision.

Nonacademic misconduct process

Academic misconduct process

Misconduct outcomes

Academic sanctions

When a student is found responsible for academic misconduct the sanctions are divided into three groups. Learn more about academic sanctions.

Nonacademic sanctions

Nonacademic misconduct can occur inside and outside the classroom, including classroom behavior that disrupts other student’s abilities to learn or disrupts research or teaching activities. Learn more about nonacademic sanctions and alcohol education programs.

Report an incident

Nonacademic misconduct

This might include sexual or domestic violence, hazing, stalking, a missing student, or another concern.

Report nonacademic misconduct

Bias or hate incident

Including slurs, degrading language, epithets, graffiti, symbols, assault, microagressions, and harassment.

Report Bias or Hate

Other reporting options

Click the link below to view the options for reporting sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, missing student, hazing, and student of concern.

Other reports

Reporting student org violations

The Policy on the Conduct and Discipline of Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) establishes the standards and procedures for RSOs at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Report an alleged violation of the Policy on Registered Student Organizations to the Committee on Student Organizations.

Report an alleged violation

Reporting cheating

If you suspect a classmate is cheating or committing another type of academic dishonesty, notify your instructor, professor, or teaching assistant. It is the job of the instructor (not the student) to determine if misconduct occurred. All you need to do is report what you heard or saw.

Your academic advisor can be a great resource to help you if you need to talk to someone about your situation.

The Dean of Students Office also has staff available.

Student rights

Students are encouraged to fully review Chapter UWS 17 to understand their rights if they are participating in the misconduct process.

When a student is involved in the misconduct process, we strive to ensure that each student receives due process, consistent with constitutional law. Individuals should experience a process where we consistently follow the established procedures of Chapter UWS 17. Student rights include:

  • To be notified of the allegations against them.
  • To have an opportunity to share their perspective on the incident.
  • To be notified of the findings of the investigation.
  • If found responsible, to have educational outcomes that are reasonable for the nature of the behavior, past misconduct, and the overall welfare of the student and wider campus community.
  • To request a hearing to dispute the findings of an investigation or recommended sanctions, as provided for in Chapter UWS 17.
  • To have a support person during any disciplinary conference and hearing.
  • To inspect your student conduct record, consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
  • To privacy of your student conduct records, except as permitted by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or with written authorization for release by the student.

Can my probation be reviewed, or go away early?

Eligible students may submit an application for review of your disciplinary probation. Full details were provided in the original decision letter you received. Students can also complete an application to review their probation.

Disciplinary probation and review process

Will parents or family be notified of misconduct violations?

Consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), parents or legal guardians may be notified that their student was found responsible for disciplinary violation(s) of applicable law or policies governing the use or possession of alcohol or controlled substance(s) with respect to any such use or possession if the student is under the age of 21 at the time of disclosure to the parents, and/or whenever the university, in its discretion, determines such notification is necessary for the purpose of the health or safety interests, and/or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.

It is strongly recommended that students inform their parents or guardians of all incidents of conduct violations.

Student responsibilities

Academic integrity

Understanding your responsibilities as a scholar is the first step to avoiding accusations of cheating, plagiarism, and other academic misconduct.

Learn about both online and campus resources that can help you avoid academic misconduct.

Nonacademic conduct and integrity

Student conduct policies are an integral part of the educational mission and goals of the University of Wisconsin-Madison to foster teaching, learning, research, and service activities in living and learning environments that are safe and free from violence, harassment, fraud, theft, disruption, or intimidation.

As a student, you are joining our community of scholars and professionals. We hope that your choices will reflect the highest ethical conduct, consistent with the established policies of the community, in order to foster the very best learning environment. The following documents are the primary sources that list student behavior expectations.

If a student chooses to act in a manner that violate an established university policy, the matter is referred for investigation. In the investigation and resolution process, we have the following expectations for students:

  • We expect that students cooperate with all staff, including student staff, police officers, investigating officers from the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards or University Housing, and hearing committee members.
  • We expect students to answer our questions.
  • We expect students to be honest.
  • We expect students to take responsibility for their behaviors in the incident reported.
  • We expect students to take actions to repair the harm caused by their actions.

Appeals and the restorative process

Appeals to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

When enrollment restrictions, suspension, or expulsion is prescribed, an appeal may be made to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.

Appeals to the Board of Regents

Final institutional decisions in misconduct cases may be appealed to the Board of Regents.

The Restorative

In certain situations, restorative processes may be utilized to give the impacted parties greater voice in the resolution.

Students in communities

Student organizations

The University recognizes that participation in student organizations constitutes an important of the living-learning environment.

Discover an organization

Bucky List

UW Madison and the surrounding community have so much to offer students and visitors. Try these ideas out from our team.

Check items off your Bucky List


Student Conduct and Community Standards Contacts

How can we help?

Email us at:



Line art image of Bascom Hall at the University of Wisconsin–Madison

Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
724 W. Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53715

Office Hours
Monday-Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm

After Hours Contacts

Crisis response:
Call Mental Health Services
608-265-5600 (option 9)
Dial 911 for immediate help from the
UW Police Department
UWPD Non-emergency line: 608-264-2677